Ice Tool and Ice Axe
An ice tool evolved from the ice axe, however it is more specialized for use in ice climbing. It is sometimes referred to as a technical axe to distinguish it from a mountaineering ice axe. For ice climbing, The climber ascends an ice fall wearing crampons attached to ice climbing boots, with two ice tools, one in each hand. The ice climber keeps his weight balanced over the point where the crampons touch the ice. Each tool is then positioned, one over the other as he ascends the ice. The ice tool penetrates the ice and provides a grip for balance.The weight of an ice tool is important. The heavier tool will penetrate ice an packed snow easier. However, heavier is not necessarily better. The weight of an ice tool must be balanced by the ability of the climber to carry and swing it for hours at a time. Large climbers may choose a larger heavier tool, while a smaller climber may pick an ice tool that is somewhat smaller.
Ice Axe compared to an Ice Tool
An ice axe is used during alpine and mountaineering, or while traveling across ice, glacier or snowfields. An ice axe is often referred to as a mountaineering axe to separate and distinguish it from an ice tool. An ice axe is used to assist with the assent, to grab rock edges, cracks, and ledges. It is an invaluable device for stopping a slide or fall.
Ice Tool Size and Shape
The different types of ice climbing require a different tool design. For waterfall ice climbing the most popular length is 50 centimeters. Larger climbers may be able to use a slightly larger ice tool, around 55 centimeters. Smaller climbers may use a 45 centimeter tool. Waterfall and mixed ice climbing tool should have a modular design. The modular design allows you to change the pick, hammer, and adzes when they wear out. Some tools give you the option to use either a hammer or adze attachment. For alpine climbing, the tool has a straight shaft with a leash attached to the head. The purpose of a straight shaft is to allow the tool to be pounded down into snow as a secondary anchor. Never use an ice tool as the only anchor source.
Sections of an Ice Tool
- Pick. The pick section of the ice tool is usually flat and bent slightly in a downward direction and has serrated teeth on the bottom edge.
- Adze. The adze is for chopping steps in hard snow and ice. It is flat and wide in shape. An adze can be a separate tool, but for ice climbing it is usually the other end of the pick. It is useful to plant deep into snow for grip, where if the pick side were used it would slice too deep or not provide the same traction.
- Grip. The grip of an ice tool may have texture and have a molded shape. Most shafts are made of metal, therefore the grip also provides some insulation against the shaft.
- Shaft. The shaft of an ice tool varies depending on the use or type of climbing. Straight shafts are for alpine climbing since they are also used as temporary anchors. Bent shafts make the tool easier to swing and hold. Bent shafts work well on steep technical ice. The bent handle is more comfortable but some ice climbers may find the shape more difficult for dry tooling.
- Spike. The spike is on the handle end of the ice tool. The purpose of the spike is to give the climber a tool used for stability. To use the spike the climber grips the head of the too, and extends to shaft out to some ice formation. The spike on the handle end of the shaft contacts the ice surface and sticks. In some situations it can be very helpful for stability. Be cautious of the spike, it can cut or shred flesh and clothing in a fall.
- Leash. The leash locks onto your wrist so the ice tool cannot fall. It should be made of strong material. It is helpful to have an adjustable leash to accommodate varying glove sizes, and be long enough that you can grip the head of the axe in order to use the spike.
Ice Tools for Sale
podofo New Outdoor Mountain Tree Climbing Heavy Duty Hand Claw Spikes Set of 2 Pcs Claws Paw Hooks Self Defense(Black)
When the ninja needed to climb the walls of a fortress or scale a high tree they called upon very specific tools. These are those tools! Traditional ninja claws are worn on the hands for climbing, ice walking, or self-defense. Heavy duty construction.
Outdoor Multifunctional Stainless Steel Survival Magnetic Folding Rock Climbing Grappling Hook Mountaineering Claw Gravity Carabiner Multifunctional Tactical Tool
Strong Bearing Strong Magnetic Force Experimental data This durable grappling hook can be used in outdoor climbing activities and wilderness survival and adventure activities. It is one of the essential equipment for outdoor enthusiasts. The hook claw reaches the highest level of soft hardness by using the oil quenching process and hence provides extreme operating reliability. The claws can expand...
2 Pack Tennis Elbow Brace with Compression Pad - Tennis & Golfer's Elbow Support - Forearm Tendonitis Pain Relief for Women & Men - Small & Large Fit Adjustable Strap - 90 day 'No Problem' Guarantee!
Sale Price: $49.94
Is elbow & forearm pain preventing you from doing the activities you love Are you concerned about being overly reliant on medication for pain relief Get instant pain relief without the meds with the: Tennis Elbow Brace by Body Toolbox Elbow support to regain the confidence to do the sports & activities you love! Address repetitive arm motion injuries such as: Tendonitis - Tennis Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis...
Grivel X Blade Ice Climbing Tool
The Grivel X-Blade ice tool is specifically designed with a thin pick to make it very efficient when you're climbing on fragile waterfall ice.
DRY ICE Ice Tools - Pair
Designed for indoor use at the climbing gym, DRY ICE Ice Tools mimic the feel of standard ice tools, letting you build strength and improve technique.
Fusion Ice Tool
Sale Price: $195.97
The Fusion is Black Diamond's premier mixed climbing tool and it performs like no other tool ever made. Incredibly lightweight, stiff and versatile, its top-of-the-line technology shines through in real world, game-changing performance.
GRIVEL Quantum Tech Ice Axe w/ Hammer, 50 cm
The ultimate axe for technical climbers, Grivel's Quantum Tech Ice Axe is a superlight technical tool made with aerospace grade composite.
Ergo Ice Axe / Tool
The Ergo Ice Axe/Tool from Petzl has a interchangeable Dry pick which is tapered at the tip for easy penetration, even in cold ice.The thickness of the pick makes it stronger when slotted and torqued. The hooking teeth, located on the bottom and top (for reverse positions) stabilize the ice axe.
MOLLE Pouches - Compact Water-resistant Multi-purpose Tactical EDC Utility Gadget Gear Hanging waist Bags
MOLLE Pouches - Compact Water-resistant Multi-purpose Tactical EDC Utility Gadget Gear Hanging waist Bags This Iniftyle high quality 600D Nylon, Wear-resisting, lightweight, Compact EDC tacitical Pouch is ideal for a small Every Day Carry kit, and it is ideally offers up a big time storage option for all your extras. Pistol mag's, ammo, binoculars, cameras, EDC or survival gear; this is their...
Grivel Mount Bianco Ice Axe
Grivel's Monte Bianco Ice Axe is a traditional axe similar to the classic axes that original alpinists like Lionel Terray used to make first ascents on the world's biggest mountains. Grivel forged its head out of a single piece of chromolly steel for long-lasting durability, and modern serrations ensure this axe holds its grip like any axe a tech-svy mountaineer would use. The only contemporary...
Mountaintop [2016 NEW] 70L+10L Internal Frame Backpack Water-resistant Hiking Backpack Backpacking Trekking Bag with Rain Cover for Climbing,camping,hiking,Travel and Mountaineering-5805III
Features Capacity: 1.Front sleeping bag compartment with divider 2.Internal hydration bladder's sleeve and one hydration access for the tube (water bladder not included) 3.There are 1 hip-belt pockets, 2 lid pockets, 1 bladder sleeve, 1 front pocket, 1 rain cover compartment and two mesh bottle pouches 4.Comes with a high vis rain cover Bearing System: 5.Torso-length adjustment 6.Sternum strap...
Ski Crampons Mountaineering Equipment Crampons for Hiking Boots Camp Crampons 13 Teeth
Material: TPR( Thermal Plastic Rubber) and stainless steel Color:black orange Package:1 pair + elastic band Cooperate with all kinds of sport shoes, hiking shoes, and mountain boots, etc. Crampons ONLY, shoes displayed NOT included.