Ice Tool and Ice Axe
An ice tool evolved from the ice axe, however it is more specialized for use in ice climbing. It is sometimes referred to as a technical axe to distinguish it from a mountaineering ice axe. For ice climbing, The climber ascends an ice fall wearing crampons attached to ice climbing boots, with two ice tools, one in each hand. The ice climber keeps his weight balanced over the point where the crampons touch the ice. Each tool is then positioned, one over the other as he ascends the ice. The ice tool penetrates the ice and provides a grip for balance.The weight of an ice tool is important. The heavier tool will penetrate ice an packed snow easier. However, heavier is not necessarily better. The weight of an ice tool must be balanced by the ability of the climber to carry and swing it for hours at a time. Large climbers may choose a larger heavier tool, while a smaller climber may pick an ice tool that is somewhat smaller.
Ice Axe compared to an Ice Tool
An ice axe is used during alpine and mountaineering, or while traveling across ice, glacier or snowfields. An ice axe is often referred to as a mountaineering axe to separate and distinguish it from an ice tool. An ice axe is used to assist with the assent, to grab rock edges, cracks, and ledges. It is an invaluable device for stopping a slide or fall.
Ice Tool Size and Shape
The different types of ice climbing require a different tool design. For waterfall ice climbing the most popular length is 50 centimeters. Larger climbers may be able to use a slightly larger ice tool, around 55 centimeters. Smaller climbers may use a 45 centimeter tool. Waterfall and mixed ice climbing tool should have a modular design. The modular design allows you to change the pick, hammer, and adzes when they wear out. Some tools give you the option to use either a hammer or adze attachment. For alpine climbing, the tool has a straight shaft with a leash attached to the head. The purpose of a straight shaft is to allow the tool to be pounded down into snow as a secondary anchor. Never use an ice tool as the only anchor source.
Sections of an Ice Tool
- Pick. The pick section of the ice tool is usually flat and bent slightly in a downward direction and has serrated teeth on the bottom edge.
- Adze. The adze is for chopping steps in hard snow and ice. It is flat and wide in shape. An adze can be a separate tool, but for ice climbing it is usually the other end of the pick. It is useful to plant deep into snow for grip, where if the pick side were used it would slice too deep or not provide the same traction.
- Grip. The grip of an ice tool may have texture and have a molded shape. Most shafts are made of metal, therefore the grip also provides some insulation against the shaft.
- Shaft. The shaft of an ice tool varies depending on the use or type of climbing. Straight shafts are for alpine climbing since they are also used as temporary anchors. Bent shafts make the tool easier to swing and hold. Bent shafts work well on steep technical ice. The bent handle is more comfortable but some ice climbers may find the shape more difficult for dry tooling.
- Spike. The spike is on the handle end of the ice tool. The purpose of the spike is to give the climber a tool used for stability. To use the spike the climber grips the head of the too, and extends to shaft out to some ice formation. The spike on the handle end of the shaft contacts the ice surface and sticks. In some situations it can be very helpful for stability. Be cautious of the spike, it can cut or shred flesh and clothing in a fall.
- Leash. The leash locks onto your wrist so the ice tool cannot fall. It should be made of strong material. It is helpful to have an adjustable leash to accommodate varying glove sizes, and be long enough that you can grip the head of the axe in order to use the spike.
Ice Tools for Sale
MSR Snow Picket
The MSR Snow Picket is the most widely used and trusted piece of snow protection made. Our updated design boots durability and ease-of-placement, providing fast and reliable snow protection when it counts.
Streamlight Stylus 3-AAAA LED Pen Light
The Streamlight Stylus LED Penlight allows you to shine a little light in those dark, hard to reach places. This small flashlight includes a high intensity LED bulb. It is waterproof and features a durable aluminum case. An integral endcap pocket clip keeps your Stylus securely attached to your pocket. It also features a momentary blink switch and constant on setting, which are easily controlled with...
DMM Dragon Cam
A couple of years ago we decided to expand our cam range by producing a single stem design with a dual axle. A simple enough proposal you might think, but not if you want to make a cam that would stand head and shoulders above the rest. The main advantage of the single stem design with two axles is that it allows a greater range for each camming unit. We have kept Ray Jardine's original 13.75Degree...
Grivel X Blade Ice Climbing Tool
The Grivel X-Blade ice tool is specifically designed with a thin pick to make it very efficient when you're climbing on fragile waterfall ice.
DRY ICE Ice Tools - Pair
Designed for indoor use at the climbing gym, DRY ICE Ice Tools mimic the feel of standard ice tools, letting you build strength and improve technique.
DRY ICE Icicles Ice Tools - Pair
Designed for indoor use at the climbing gym, Icicles Ice Tools are a great way to introduce kids to the world of ice and mixed climbing.
Gm Climbing Ice Climbing Crampon Steel 12 Teeth Strap on Semirigid Technical
Weight: 960g / 33.86 oz. / pair Size: 36-48 in EU (with included size bars) 25-36CM in lenghth Material: steel and plastic Front and rear fittings Adjustable linking Flexible locking system Plastic system preventing snow accumulation Versatile high-performance crampons for ice and rock
X Monster Leashless Tool by Grivel
640840 Features: Designed for vertical walls with a unique shaft and multi-grip The thin, shorter pick anchors in deep and with the thin shaft it fits between two columns or in narrow cracks easy The flexible shaft makes anchoring into cracks, including non vertical ones, easier and safer Almost a hammer, the rear is shaped like nuts, ideal for anchoring and torquing in larger cracks on mixed terrain...
Stubai 914750 Hornet Protect Mountain Ice Tool with Hammer Head, 46cm
The Hornet protect is a great value ice tool for those new to the sport. With a gently curving shaft, a finger guard and a detachable wrist loop, this tool is ideal for steep ice, whether it's an ice tower or a frozen waterfall.
Black Diamond Viper Ice Tool - Hammer
The evolution of the Black Diamond Viper hammer ice tool continues with key updates that keep you swinging into ice with ease.
Quark Ice Tool - Hammer with Grip Rest
Petzl's QUARK is a versatile ice axe, designed primarily for technical mountaineering and for ice climbing. Because of the head's modular construction, it adapts to any situation. The QUARK ice axe is easy to use: its balance and its ICE pick allow solid placements on any type of ice. Hooking is more efficient, thanks to the clearance under the head and to the shape of the pick. The GRIPREST...
Cassin X-Dream Ice Tool
Aptly named, the C.A.M.P. Cassin X-Dream Ice ToolX-Dream not only features three different picks to change the axe for ice or mixed climbing, but it also incorporates a patented adjustment system in the handle to fine tune the swing and torque even further. A quick turn of the allen bolt above the grip allows the tools to be switched between Dry and Ice positions by changing the angle of the handle...
Fusion Ice Tool
The Fusion is Black Diamond's premier mixed climbing tool and it performs like no other tool ever made. Incredibly lightweight, stiff and versatile, its top-of-the-line technology shines through in real world, game-changing performance.
Ergo Ice Axe / Tool
The Ergo Ice Axe/Tool from Petzl has a interchangeable Dry pick which is tapered at the tip for easy penetration, even in cold ice.The thickness of the pick makes it stronger when slotted and torqued. The hooking teeth, located on the bottom and top (for reverse positions) stabilize the ice axe.
13 Teeth Ice Snow Crampons Mountaineering Equipment Hybrid Crampon Foot Bouldering Shoes Quickdraws Camp Crampons Rock Climbing Tools 1 Pair
Material: TPR( Thermal Plastic Rubber) and stainless steel Color:black orange Package:1 pair + elastic band Cooperate with all kinds of sport shoes, hiking shoes, and mountain boots, etc. Crampons ONLY, shoes displayed NOT included.