Ice Tool and Ice Axe
An ice tool evolved from the ice axe, however it is more specialized for use in ice climbing. It is sometimes referred to as a technical axe to distinguish it from a mountaineering ice axe. For ice climbing, The climber ascends an ice fall wearing crampons attached to ice climbing boots, with two ice tools, one in each hand. The ice climber keeps his weight balanced over the point where the crampons touch the ice. Each tool is then positioned, one over the other as he ascends the ice. The ice tool penetrates the ice and provides a grip for balance.The weight of an ice tool is important. The heavier tool will penetrate ice an packed snow easier. However, heavier is not necessarily better. The weight of an ice tool must be balanced by the ability of the climber to carry and swing it for hours at a time. Large climbers may choose a larger heavier tool, while a smaller climber may pick an ice tool that is somewhat smaller.
Ice Axe compared to an Ice Tool
An ice axe is used during alpine and mountaineering, or while traveling across ice, glacier or snowfields. An ice axe is often referred to as a mountaineering axe to separate and distinguish it from an ice tool. An ice axe is used to assist with the assent, to grab rock edges, cracks, and ledges. It is an invaluable device for stopping a slide or fall.
Ice Tool Size and Shape
The different types of ice climbing require a different tool design. For waterfall ice climbing the most popular length is 50 centimeters. Larger climbers may be able to use a slightly larger ice tool, around 55 centimeters. Smaller climbers may use a 45 centimeter tool. Waterfall and mixed ice climbing tool should have a modular design. The modular design allows you to change the pick, hammer, and adzes when they wear out. Some tools give you the option to use either a hammer or adze attachment. For alpine climbing, the tool has a straight shaft with a leash attached to the head. The purpose of a straight shaft is to allow the tool to be pounded down into snow as a secondary anchor. Never use an ice tool as the only anchor source.
Sections of an Ice Tool
- Pick. The pick section of the ice tool is usually flat and bent slightly in a downward direction and has serrated teeth on the bottom edge.
- Adze. The adze is for chopping steps in hard snow and ice. It is flat and wide in shape. An adze can be a separate tool, but for ice climbing it is usually the other end of the pick. It is useful to plant deep into snow for grip, where if the pick side were used it would slice too deep or not provide the same traction.
- Grip. The grip of an ice tool may have texture and have a molded shape. Most shafts are made of metal, therefore the grip also provides some insulation against the shaft.
- Shaft. The shaft of an ice tool varies depending on the use or type of climbing. Straight shafts are for alpine climbing since they are also used as temporary anchors. Bent shafts make the tool easier to swing and hold. Bent shafts work well on steep technical ice. The bent handle is more comfortable but some ice climbers may find the shape more difficult for dry tooling.
- Spike. The spike is on the handle end of the ice tool. The purpose of the spike is to give the climber a tool used for stability. To use the spike the climber grips the head of the too, and extends to shaft out to some ice formation. The spike on the handle end of the shaft contacts the ice surface and sticks. In some situations it can be very helpful for stability. Be cautious of the spike, it can cut or shred flesh and clothing in a fall.
- Leash. The leash locks onto your wrist so the ice tool cannot fall. It should be made of strong material. It is helpful to have an adjustable leash to accommodate varying glove sizes, and be long enough that you can grip the head of the axe in order to use the spike.
Ice Tools for Sale
NINJA Combo Set Grappling Hook, Hand claws & Foot Spike Climbing Gear.
When the ninja needed to climb the walls of a fortress or scale a high tree they called upon very specific tools. These are those tools! Specially designed grappling hook folds down for compact and easy carrying. With a few twists the 4 carbon steel talons can be locked into position assuring a safe ascent. Best yet, it is rated to over 800 pounds and comes with 33 ft. of tough braided nylon rope....
Outdoor Multifunctional Stainless Steel Survival Magnetic Folding Rock Climbing Grappling Hook Mountaineering Claw Gravity Carabiner Multifunctional Tactical Tool
Strong Bearing Strong Magnetic Force Experimental data This durable grappling hook can be used in outdoor climbing activities and wilderness survival and adventure activities. It is one of the essential equipment for outdoor enthusiasts. The hook claw reaches the highest level of soft hardness by using the oil quenching process and hence provides extreme operating reliability. The claws can expand...
DRY ICE Ice Tools - Pair
Designed for indoor use at the climbing gym, DRY ICE Ice Tools mimic the feel of standard ice tools, letting you build strength and improve technique.
DRY ICE Icicles Ice Tools - Pair
Designed for indoor use at the climbing gym, Icicles Ice Tools are a great way to introduce kids to the world of ice and mixed climbing.
Stubai 914750 Hornet Protect Mountain Ice Tool with Hammer Head, 46cm
The Hornet protect is a great value ice tool for those new to the sport. With a gently curving shaft, a finger guard and a detachable wrist loop, this tool is ideal for steep ice, whether it's an ice tower or a frozen waterfall.
Ergo Ice Axe / Tool
The Ergo Ice Axe/Tool from Petzl has a interchangeable Dry pick which is tapered at the tip for easy penetration, even in cold ice.The thickness of the pick makes it stronger when slotted and torqued. The hooking teeth, located on the bottom and top (for reverse positions) stabilize the ice axe.
Camp USA Nut Tool
FEATURES of the Camp USA Nut Tool Chromoly steel Chrome-plated to prevent rust
Mountaintop [2016 NEW] 70L+10L Internal Frame Backpack Water-resistant Hiking Backpack Backpacking Trekking Bag with Rain Cover for Climbing,camping,hiking,Travel and Mountaineering-5805III
Features Capacity: 1.Front sleeping bag compartment with divider 2.Internal hydration bladder's sleeve and one hydration access for the tube (water bladder not included) 3.There are 1 hip-belt pockets, 2 lid pockets, 1 bladder sleeve, 1 front pocket, 1 rain cover compartment and two mesh bottle pouches 4.Comes with a high vis rain cover Bearing System: 5.Torso-length adjustment 6.Sternum strap...
Tactical Pouch - Compact Water-resistant Multi-purpose Molle EDC Utility Gadget Gear Tools Organizer - Waist Bags Pack Cell Phone Holster - Free Bonus Mini Keychain Flashlight
Are you looking for the Most Lightweight, Durable and Portable Compact Multi-Purpose Tactical MOLLE EDC Utility Gadget Pouch with Unbeatable Price Here you go!! This Iniftyle Compact EDC tacitical Pouch is ideal for a small Every Day Carry kit, and it is ideal for someone who wants to consolidate all their pocket-carried EDC gear into one location rather than have it spread around to disparate compartments...
MOLLE Pouches - Compact Water-resistant Multi-purpose Tactical EDC Utility Gadget Gear Hanging waist Bags
MOLLE Pouches - Compact Water-resistant Multi-purpose Tactical EDC Utility Gadget Gear Hanging waist Bags This Iniftyle high quality 600D Nylon, Wear-resisting, lightweight, Compact EDC tacitical Pouch is ideal for a small Every Day Carry kit, and it is ideally offers up a big time storage option for all your extras. Pistol mag's, ammo, binoculars, cameras, EDC or survival gear; this is their...
Grivel Machine Ice Tool Hammer/Shovel
Grivel's Ice Tool replacement keeps your ice adventures sweeter than ever. Forged out of supple chromoly steel, and providing you with the option of a shovel or a hammer, these tools are bound to keep you sailing rather than bailing.