Rappelling/Abseiling is accomplished by descending a vertical surface using a rope and device to provide friction to control the descent. Prior to rappelling, a climber must carefully and methodically inspect, take time, set up the rappelling knots, harness, rappelling rope and equipment. Establish protection as a back up before beginning the abseil, like setting up a belay or placing a Prusik knot above the descender on the rappelling rope. For this reason it is very important to get qualified individualized instruction, before rappelling.
The Rope Descender creates friction on a rappelling rope to slow a climber down as he descends from an anchor. The rope descender is operated by the climberduring the abseil. Descending devices, abseiling and rappelling equipment all work approximately the same. By controlling the tension on the rope as it flows through the equipment, friction is incrementally increased or decreased, thus changing the speed of the abseil.
About Rappelling Gear
- Rappelling Rope. Ropes with about 2% stretch perform best for rappelling. These ropes are multi-strand, low-stretching rope. This type of rope reduces the bouncing and adds control to the rappel. See Climbing Ropes.
- Harness. A harness is used around the waist to secure the descender. There are many types and styles of harnesses to suite individual needs.
- Locking Carabiner. There are many types, styles. A popular rappelling carabineer is the asymmetrical D which provides plenty of room for even a thick 12mm rappelling rope. See Carabiners.
- Rope Descender. This key piece of rappelling gear connects directly to the locking carabiner then to the harness.
Rappel Safety Backups
There are several critical points that "abseilers" commonly back up. Each situation is different and needs to be evaluated with safety precautions taken based on the conditions. The following should not be considered a check list.
- The Rappelling Anchor. A separate independent anchor is established through the rappelling rope to another tie down point.
- Tie in for rappelling harness and descender. An easy back up for rappelling can be done with a simple knot called the Prusik Knot. It limits the speed of descent. While rappelling, when the rope slips through the Prusik too fast it tightens and grips. By placing the Prusik above the rope descender, it will "catch" if the descent is out of control for any reason.
- Back up Rappel. A top belay is the best safety backup for a rappel. It places a second person in the chain.
- Length of Rappelling Rope. Ensure your rappelling rope extends all the way to the ground. A good safety back up is to tie a knot near the end of the rappelling rope.
Personal Protective Rappelling Equipment
- Rappelling Gloves. - protect your hands from the rock wall and rope during descent. The rappelling descender device can get very hot from friction. Gloves that allow dexterity, and protect from abrasion are worth the investment.
- A Climbing Helmet. is an important item of rappelling equipment for personal protection. See Climbing Helmets
- Boots. Depending on the type of rock and situation a set of boots may be good for protection. Not every situation will allow it. Hiking boots can also be used very effectively for abseiling.
Safety devices and backups are not always possible. Sometimes the nature of the situation precludes using one or more backups. Whenever possible back up the abseil with independent protection.
Rappelling-Abseiling Devices for Sale
Omega Pacific Rappel Ring
Dependable Omega Pacific(R) rappel rings are essential for setting up quick bail-outs or rappel stations.
SMC Rigging/Descending Ring
The SMC Rigging/Descending ring is the strongest aluminum ring of its size and can be used in a number of ways while climbing.
Omega Pacific Rappel Rings
The SPECS Material: Forged aluminum Weight: 34 grams / 1.2 ounces Strength: 20kN
Omega Pacific Rap Ring
Forged aluminum rap ring for bail-outs and rap stations. Anodized gray for minimal visual impact. Solid non-hollow construction for 20kN minimum breaking strength. Not intended for repeated lowering.
Rappel Ring - Plated
The Rappel Ring from Fixe can be used with conventional sling material or screw links and chain.
Fixe Rappel Ring Plated
/ Strength SS: 35kN / Strength Plated Steel: 30kN
Fixe Rappel Rings Stainless
FIXE RAPPEL RINGS: Solid steel rings can be used for belay or rappel Superior craftsmanship Stainless steel: 50kN/12500lbs Plated Steel: 35kN/8500lbs
CAMP Aluminum Rappel Ring - 45mm - Orange
Aluminum alloy connector ring that is useful for the connection of various fall arrest components or for rappeling.
Fixe Rappel Ring Stainless Steel
Sale Price: $13.89
100724 Features: Made from burly 11 millimeter rod stock for long-lasting durability This device is NOT intended to be used as a rappel or belay device (eg ATC, SBGII, Figure 8 or any other friction device) It is intended solely as a hardware alternative to bail-out slings, webbing and cord Specifications: Weight: 3 ounces Strength: 50 kN
Black Diamond Super 8 Belay Device
Designed with belaying in mind, the Black Diamond Super 8 belay device features a versatile dual-hole design that allows use with single or double ropes.
BRD Belay / Rappel Device
The Metolius BRD is a versatile, lightweight belay/rappel device with rope slots that are engineered to increase friction on the rope and cooling fins to dissipate heat more efficiently. Whether you're on bottom or top, the BRD will make rope travel easily and safely.
Reverso 4 Belay / Rappel Device
The Reverso 4 from Petzl is a ultra-light multi-purpose belay / rappel device that regulates the amount of braking friction on the rope according to its diameter and condition. V-shaped friction channels with asymmetrical lateral grooves adapt the friction to the type of rope for better control. Reverso mode for belaying one or two seconds with assisted braking.
Petzl GRIGRI 2 Belay Device
The compact and lightweight GRIGRI 2 Belay Device with assisted braking delivers excellent control for top-rope climbing and lead climbing.
Great Deal(TM) Figure 8 Descender Rappel Climbing Rescue Tool, Aluminum
Statement: 1> We (Great Deal store) are conferred authority by Brand Great Deal, so that we can sell Great Deal products. Please do not purchased from unauthorized Great Deal shop,in order to avoid the loss of your interests 179> Great
Happu-store(TM) Durable Aluminum Rappel Climbing figure 8 Descender Rescue Protecter
Material: aluminium alloy Size: 14.4*7*1.6 cm Color: Blue, Black, Red, Silver Shape: figure eight Strength: 35 kn/7500LB Package Included: 1 x Rappel Rock Climbing Descender , Aluminum