Rock Climbing Shoes
Special shoes for rock climbing differ from mountaineering and hiking boots in many important aspects. Many types and styles of rock climbing shoes are available and are listed below with their features.
Breakdown and explanation of the sections of the rock climbing shoe
There are different features that would make a style or brand better suited for the different forms of rock found in mountaineering, and the different types of climbing.
1. Rubber. All rock climbing shoes have sticky rubber on the sole and rand. The qualities of rubber vary. The difference in rubber characteristics is minor. Hard rubber will perform better for edging and small ledges. Soft sticky rubber performs better on face climbs.
2. Sole. The sole of the shoe is several millimeters thick. The thickness varies to provide firmness or flexibility.
3. Midsole. This section is composed of a thin layer of material between the sole and the upper section . The rock climbing shoe gets its stiffness from the midsole.
4. Heel Rand. A thick piece of rubber that extends from the sole to the top of the heel. The heel rand is used during heel-hooking. It provides protection to the shoe and traction on the rock.
5. Heel. The shoe's heel should cup your heel. Some don't cover the sides of the heel with rubber. This generally provides a better fit, but makes heel hooking a little more difficult.
6. Heel Loop. A rock climbing shoe should fit tight. To get tight shoes on your feet, you will need a loop on the heel.
7. Lining. The inside of the shoe may be padded or bare. Padding makes the shoe feel more comfortable but adds a little weight.
8. Material. The side leather or cloth should breathe. This will allow moisture from your foot to escape and keep your foot securely in place.
9. Lacing. Both lace up and slippers are popular, and perform equally well. It is a matter of preference whether you get a lace up or slipper style rock climbing shoe. The real test is if your foot feels comfortable, tight at the toes, but not painful.
10. Curvature. The curvature is the shape of the "last". This is the basic shape of the shoe. The shape of the last provides advantages for different types of climbing. A down turned toe gives the rock climber support for edging and technical climbing. A "last" that shapes to the foot is more comfortable and performs better for longer climbs.
- Evolv Climbing Shoes
- La Sportiva Climbing Shoes
- Mad Rock Climbing Shoes
- Scarpa Climbing Shoes
- Millet Climbing Shoes
- Five-Ten Climbing Shoes
Rock Climbing Shoes for Sale
Venga Climbing Shoe - Kid's
Sale Price: $38.21
The Venga unisex kids shoe sports a modern look and comfortable fit and a size adjusting heel strap for growing kids.
Mad Monkey 2.0 Climbing Shoe - Kids
The Mad Rock Mad Monkey 2.0 is an upgrade of Mad Rock's ever popular Mad Monkey with two rear closure straps for even more adjustability. Mad Rock's new dual closure system prevents straps from scratching delicate ankles when cinching down for a tighter fit. Constructed with their stretch SynFlex upper and their R2 rand system for ultra comfort, the Mad Monkey is perfect for kids with sensitive...
Mad Rock Men's Drifter Climbing Shoe
FEATURES of the Mad Rock Drifter Climbing Shoe Velcro Straps
La Sportiva Men's Nago Climbing Shoes
Go from the climbing gym to the crag with the all-around La Sportiva Nago rock shoes.
La Sportiva Tarantula Shoe
FEATURES of the La Sportiva Tarantula Shoe Comfortable unlined leather upper provides all day comfort Long lasting sticky FriXion rubber sticks to plastic and rock equally as well Multi-position closure system adapts to various foot types Asymmetrical shape helps beginning climbers push the grades at a faster pace Laspoflex midsole is a super lightweight, ultra-thin synthetic fiber-laminate designed...
La Sportiva Men's Mythos Climbing Shoes
One of the most popular climbing shoes around, the venerable La Sportiva Mythos rock shoes are adored by both beginners and pros.
evolv Men's Shaman Climbing Shoe
Asymmetrical shape contours your feet for incredible edging over the big toe TRAX XT High Friction rubber outsole for maximum stick. Big toe knuckle box and midsole love bump helps obtain maximum strength for edging and grabbing Tensioned heel and arch rand eliminates dead space in the arch area
Scarpa Men's Instinct VS Climbing Shoe
Just a tad softer than the instinct, we tune up the slipper design with a single strap and vibram® xs edge rubber to resist deformation when standing on micro-flakes and edges. The instinct vs spans the performance arc from slabby boulder problems to overhanging gym routes. Sensitivity, with just enough power from the bi-tension randing for standing on dimes; these do it all.
Climb X Kinder Kids Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
A consistent bestseller, the Climb X Kinder kids climbing shoe is a favorite of parents and their kids alike thanks to its smart design and excellent performance. The Kinder utilizes a new heel filler adjustment system that makes the shoe expandable ensuring a long life span and possible hand-me-down for the next little climber, while the X-Factor rubber makes for superlative performance. Free climbing...
La Sportiva Tarantulace Climbing Shoe
FEATURES of the La Sportiva Tarantulace Climbing Shoe Quick pull lacing harness that delivers a snug precise fit Durable FriXion RS rubber compound for great grip and durability Lined tongue for moisture management All around performer for the climber looking for one shoe to do it all Unlined leather is comfortable and soft
Evolv Axiom Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
A technical all-around climbing shoe that has an asymmetrical toe profile with a low top-of-foot volume. The Axiom is non-aggressive when fitted flat-toed and high-performance when down-sized. Whether the climber is a beginner or advanced, this lace-up will offer all-day comfort and precision. One of Evolv's best offerings for a wide spectrum of climbers. The sole features 4.2 mm TRAX® high friction...
CLIMB X Redpoint Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
The Redpoint is an award-winning, best-selling design for a reason: it does the job, and it does it very well. It's a perfect blend of comfort, durability, value and high performance. A great all-around climbing shoe for beginners and seasoned climbers alike. FREE Climbing DVD included!
CLIMB X Rock Star Climbing Shoe with FREE Mammut Carabiner ($10 Value)
Based on the Rock-It series, the Rock Star utilizes the same design, but features a lace-up for a more precise and secure fit. The Rock Star is Climb X's premier lace-up rock climbing shoe model, ideal for competition, cracks and for folks whose climbing is on the sharp end of the spectrum. A no-nonsense, no-compromise, performance climbing shoe. Free Mammut carabiner included