Rock Climbing Shoes
Special shoes for rock climbing differ from mountaineering and hiking boots in many important aspects. Many types and styles of rock climbing shoes are available and are listed below with their features.
Search Rock Climbing Shoes
Breakdown and explanation of the sections of the rock climbing shoe
There are different features that would make a style or brand better suited for the different forms of rock found in mountaineering, and the different types of climbing.
1. Rubber. All rock climbing shoes have sticky rubber on the sole and rand. The qualities of rubber vary. The difference in rubber characteristics is minor. Hard rubber will perform better for edging and small ledges. Soft sticky rubber performs better on face climbs.
2. Sole. The sole of the shoe is several millimeters thick. The thickness varies to provide firmness or flexibility.
3. Midsole. This section is composed of a thin layer of material between the sole and the upper section . The rock climbing shoe gets its stiffness from the midsole.
4. Heel Rand. A thick piece of rubber that extends from the sole to the top of the heel. The heel rand is used during heel-hooking. It provides protection to the shoe and traction on the rock.
5. Heel. The shoe's heel should cup your heel. Some don't cover the sides of the heel with rubber. This generally provides a better fit, but makes heel hooking a little more difficult.
6. Heel Loop. A rock climbing shoe should fit tight. To get tight shoes on your feet, you will need a loop on the heel.
7. Lining. The inside of the shoe may be padded or bare. Padding makes the shoe feel more comfortable but adds a little weight.
8. Material. The side leather or cloth should breathe. This will allow moisture from your foot to escape and keep your foot securely in place.
9. Lacing. Both lace up and slippers are popular, and perform equally well. It is a matter of preference whether you get a lace up or slipper style rock climbing shoe. The real test is if your foot feels comfortable, tight at the toes, but not painful.
10. Curvature. The curvature is the shape of the "last". This is the basic shape of the shoe. The shape of the last provides advantages for different types of climbing. A down turned toe gives the rock climber support for edging and technical climbing. A "last" that shapes to the foot is more comfortable and performs better for longer climbs.
- Evolv Climbing Shoes
- La Sportiva Climbing Shoes
- Mad Rock Climbing Shoes
- Scarpa Climbing Shoes
- Millet Climbing Shoes
- Five-Ten Climbing Shoes
Rock Climbing Shoes for Sale
Mad Rock Mad Monkey 2.0 Rock Shoes
Introduce your kids to the sport of rock climbing with the comfortable Mad Rock Mad Monkey 2.0 rock shoes.
Mad Badger Climbing Shoe - Kids
Sale Price: $29.21
The Mad Rock Mad Badger is an excellent beginning shoe for your son or daughter. With 3D Toe Cap technology, these shoes will last significantly longer than your usual shoe.
Mad Monkey 2.0 Climbing Shoe - Kids
The Mad Rock Mad Monkey 2.0 is an upgrade of Mad Rock's ever popular Mad Monkey with two rear closure straps for even more adjustability. Mad Rock's new dual closure system prevents straps from scratching delicate ankles when cinching down for a tighter fit. Constructed with their stretch SynFlex...
Evolv Defy Lace Climbing Shoe
Sale Price: $44.47
When you're ready to take your climbing to the next grade but you're not quite at the down-turned toes stage, step into the Evolv Defy Lace Climbing Shoe. This plush shoe uses laces, a leather footbed, and a perforated synthetic upper to keep you comfortable during long days at the crag.
Venga Kid's Climbing Shoe
The Venga unisex kids shoe sports a modern look and comfortable fit and a size adjusting heel strap for growing kids.
Stickit Climbing Shoe - Kid's
La Sportiva designed the Stickit to adjust to the growing foot of those monkey powered crimping machines we call kids. The lacing system allows the heel of the shoe to adjust so kids can get the best fit possible and you have to buy fewer pairs of shoes. The lace that wraps around the heel can be easily...
La Sportiva Men's Nago Rock Shoes
Go from the climbing gym to the crag with the all-around La Sportiva Nago rock shoes.
La Sportiva Tarantulace Climbing Shoe - Women's
FEATURES of the La Sportiva Women's Tarantulace Shoe Quick pull lacing harness that delivers a snug precise fit Durable FriXion RS rubber compound for great grip and durability Lined tongue for moisture management Excellent all around hook and loop closure shoe For entry level climbers Women specific...
Mad Rock Men's Flash 2.0 Climbing Shoe
FEATURES of the Mad Rock Flash 2.0 Climbing Shoe Traditional leather upper has been combined with Synflex, a synthetic stretch material, to offer performance while maintaining a consistent plush fit 3D molded heel to maximize friction Uses Shock Gel to reduce the impact force on the heel Poly-carbonate...
La Sportiva Tarantula Shoe
FEATURES of the La Sportiva Tarantula Shoe Comfortable unlined leather upper provides all day comfort Long lasting sticky FriXion rubber sticks to plastic and rock equally as well Multi-position closure system adapts to various foot types Asymmetrical shape helps beginning climbers push the grades at...
Evolv Royale Climbing Shoe
Whether you're cranking your first lead or looking for an all-day shoe for multi-pitch routes, the Evolv Royale Climbing Shoe gives you a super-comfortable fit without breaking the bank. The unlined leather upper stretches slightly over time to mold to your foot, and the double toe rand withstands...
Evolv Shaman Climbing Shoe
Sale Price: $104.96
Evolv's mad scientists melted down lightning bolts, kryptonite, pure attitude, and locks of Chris Sharma's hair to create the mold for the Shaman Climbing Shoe. At a top secret unveiling, several people were carried away on stretchers after fainting at the sight of the Shaman's revolutionary...
Five Ten Men's Anasazi Moccasym Climbing Shoe
Five Ten, the Brand of the Brave, is a leader in performance, high-friction footwear. From downhill mountain bike racing to rock climbing, from wing suit flying to kayaking, Five Ten makes footwear for the world's most dangerous sports. The Redlands, California-based company has been producing cutting-edge...
La Sportiva Men's Mythos Rock Shoes
One of the most popular climbing shoes around, the venerable La Sportiva Mythos rock shoes are adored by both beginners and pros.
Five Ten Blackwing Climbing Shoe - Men's
Designed on a last similar to the renowned Dragons, the Five Ten Men's Blackwing Climbing Shoes provide the sensitivity and power required for steep double-digit boulder problems and 5. 14 sport climbs with the convenience of dual hook-and-loop closures. The down-turned Stealth HF outsoles allow...
La Sportiva TC Pro Rock Shoes
Designed for edging and crack climbing, the La Sportiva TC Pro rock shoes get you through sections of smearing on dime edges and jamming your feet in finger cracks.
Climb X Icon Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
The Climb X Icon climbing shoe is the perfect all around shoe for bouldering, gym, sport, and multi-pitch climbing. The synthetic fabric allows for a comfortable low-stretch fit while the hemp footbed helps keep odors down. The Icon features a neoprene tongue for breathability and comfort. Size up for...
La Sportiva Tarantulace Climbing Shoe
FEATURES of the La Sportiva Tarantulace Climbing Shoe Quick pull lacing harness that delivers a snug precise fit Durable FriXion RS rubber compound for great grip and durability Lined tongue for moisture management All around performer for the climber looking for one shoe to do it all Unlined leather...
Climb X Kinder Kids Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
A consistent bestseller, the Climb X Kinder kids climbing shoe is a favorite of parents and their kids alike thanks to its smart design and excellent performance. The Kinder utilizes a new heel filler adjustment system that makes the shoe expandable ensuring a long life span and possible hand-me-down...
Evolv Axiom Climbing Shoe with FREE Climbing DVD ($30 Value)
A technical all-around climbing shoe that has an asymmetrical toe profile with a low top-of-foot volume. The Axiom is non-aggressive when fitted flat-toed and high-performance when down-sized. Whether the climber is a beginner or advanced, this lace-up will offer all-day comfort and precision. One of...
CLIMB X Rock Star Climbing Shoe with FREE Mammut Carabiner ($10 Value)
Based on the Rock-It series, the Rock Star utilizes the same design, but features a lace-up for a more precise and secure fit. The Rock Star is Climb X's premier lace-up rock climbing shoe model, ideal for competition, cracks and for folks whose climbing is on the sharp end of the spectrum. A no-nonsense,...
CLIMB X Technician Lace Climbing Shoe with FREE Mammut Carabiner ($10 Value)
The Climb X Technician Lace climbing shoe hosts a number of innovations including a slingshot rand, molded 3D heel with the super sticky X-Factor rubber, and anti-microbial hemp footbed lining to keep these climbing shoes smelling fresh. A most useful tool in your ongoing fight against gravity. A technical...