Search for Climbing Gear
Your climbing harness is a key piece of equipment for top rope rock, lead and sport climbing. The right harness for your type of climbing can improve both performance and safety.
Simple maintenance will help prolong the life of your harness
Protect it from the elements. Keep it in a moderate temperature. When finished climbing, clean and inspect it. Cleaning with water should be sufficient. If you need to get out difficult stains or dirt and tiny rock grains, use a mild soap. Rinse the harness thoroughly to get the soap completely out of the nylon fibers. Let your harness dry in open air shaded from the sun before packing it back into its storage bag.
Extend usable service of the harness
Inspect your Climbing Harness. Look for signs of wear. Pay special attention to the stitching and tie-in points. When you see visible signs of wear, fading, scratches which tear the weave, or after it has held an extreme fall it's time to get a new one. After your harness has dried, inspect it for signs of wear and tear and fraying at all the seams. Signs of wear will show up better when the harness is clean and dry. Fraying will stand up as shown in the picture. Look carefully at the stitching and seams. Tug gently on the seams and anchor points to make sure they are secure and don't feel loose.
Storage for the harness. Put it someplace protected from sunlight, moisture or humidity, and in moderate temperatures. Exposure to these elements will cause the nylon and seams to degrade. Do not store it in the same closet or shed with paint, thinners, chlorine, bleach, acid or any oxidizing material. Vapors from these chemicals will also degrade the strength of your harness. Before climbing, check again for fraying or loose seams.
Factors to consider when choosing a climbing harness:
- Material: Harnesses are made from a variety of materials: Nylon and nylon webbing; ballistic nylon, closed cell foam with mesh lining; evazote 50 foam, ballistic nylon, microfleece; 7-mm closed-cell foam and 3-D mesh; chyri span with wall mesh, mini diamond ripstop; 600D Polyester; 1050D Ballistics nylon -- each material type compliments the type of climbing harness
- Adjustability: Adjustable or fixed loops for legs are a feature that help ensure good fit and comfort. The adjustability of leg loops adds weight and bulk which may not be desirable for high end competition climbing. Sport climbers may prefer the added comfort and fit at the expense of the small weight and bulk of buckles and straps.
- Gear Attachment: Most harnesses have some type of way to hang gear, Quickdraw, carabiner, Belay Device or runners. Usually they have 3 to 5 attachment points. They are made of molded rubber/plastic or woven nylon.
- Recommend Use: Harnesses are built with features which compliment the type of climbing your will be doing. Sport, trad, ice, competition, mixed climbing have different requirements, so the type of harness to use should have features best suited for the type of climbing. The manufacturer recommends a use. Of course that doesn't limit use in another aspect of climbing, it simply means the harness has features which are more likely to be advantageous for that type of climbing.
- Padding: Most rock climbing harnesses come with foam padding for the waist band and legs. The padding in these areas is well worth any extra cost. A wide waist band, especially in the back is also important. The purpose of the harness is to distribute the force of a fall to many points. The wider the waist band, the better the force is distributed. If the waist belt is too wide it will get in your way while making moves. The back of the waist belt should be firm and stiff. Legs should be secured by adjustable straps. Wider webbing provides more comfort. A comfortable width of leg webbing for an average weight person is 2 inches or about 5 cm or greater. A narrow webbing, less than 2" or 5 cm, will be less comfortable - and may cut off the circulation in your leg if you are left hanging too long. However, the thicker webbing may hinder freedom of movement.
- Weight: Harnesses vary in weight from very light three quarters of a pound to a pound and a half (300 grams to 600 grams). Weight is a tradeoff of features and comfort. Padding, gear attachments, and buckles add weight; however if you need a very light weight, lean harness for competitions or highly technical climbing and don't need the additional features, many are available.
Mammut Mirage Climbing Harness (X-Large / Blue)
Sale Price: $36.99
Save room in your climbing gear duffel with the one-for-everything Mammut Mirage harness. This adaptable design is super-tough with a Hypalon skeleton and weight-distributing edge tape while trapezoidal, adjustable leg loops provide a comfortable fit that can accommodate the layers needed for alpine...
Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing Harness
Lightweight and minimalistic, the no-frills A-Bod has a wide waistbelt and quick-release leg loops. Newly added gear loops add to this harnesses versatility and functionality. Waist sizes XS (26-29"), S (28-31"), M (30-33"), L (32-35"), XL (34-37"); Leg sizes XS (19-21""),...
Crux Climbing Harness
The Crux harness from Singing Rock is great for ultralight, high-performance climbing. It has been especially designed for sport routes or wherever you want to climb light.
Edelrid Finn II Climbing Harness - Kids'
Outfit your young climber with this fully adjustable children's harness so he or she can join you at the climbing gym or outdoor crag.
Black Diamond Momentum AL Climbing Harness - Men's
The Momentum AL gives climbers of any discipline the same comfort, ventilation and durability that Black Diamond harnesses are known for, at a price fit for dirtbags and new climbers alike. We outfitted the Momentum AL with a traditional waistbelt buckle and our trakFIT leg loop adjustment system, which...
Black Diamond Wiz Kid Climbing Harness
A decked-out kids' harness built for up-and-coming rock monkeys, the Black Diamond Wiz Kid packs all the features of our adult harnesses in a smaller size. Just like its Momentum and Primrose harnesses, the Wiz Kid features Black Diamond's Dual Core Construction, which uses two slim bands of...
Black Diamond Wiz Kid Climbing Harness - Kids'
This 3-season, all-purpose kids' harness has the same features and technology as the adult models, but is designed specifically for young climbers that want to learn to climb outdoors or at the gym.
Macchu Kids Climbing Harness
With comfortable and adjustable waistbelt and leg loops, the MACCHU harness is ideal for sport climbing for children and adapts to the child's evolution in their practice. The ENDOFRAME Technology construction, identical to that of an adult harness, provides excellent weight distribution around...
Black Diamond Women's Primrose Climbing Harness
For all-around female climbers who know that time spent fiddling with leg loops and adjusting a pinching waistbelt is time wasted, the Black Diamond Primrose delivers a time-saving design for all styles of climbing. A pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle saves time and eliminates error when tying...
Black Diamond Momentum Climbing Harness - Men's
For all-around climbers who know that time spent fiddling with leg loops and adjusting a pinching waistbelt is time wasted, the Black Diamond Momentum delivers a time-saving design for all styles of climbing. A pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle saves time and eliminates error when tying in,...
Edelrid Fraggle Full-Body Climbing Harness - Kids'
Introduce your child to the fun and exciting sport of rock climbing with this padded full-body climbing harness.
Petzl Simba Full-Body Climbing Harness - Kids'
Little tykes have you climbing the walls Turn the tables on them with this Petzl Simba full-body climbing harness made to fit 5 to 10 year olds.
Mammut Ophir 3-Slide Harness Crag Bag Kit
The Mammut Ophir 3-Slide Harness comes with the Crag Bag Kit to start your climbing adventures off right. This kit includes the Crag Light Belay Device, the Crag HMS Locking Carabiner, and the Basic Chalk Bag. The Ophir 3 features Split Webbing technology that separates the webbing to ride over and under...
Black Diamond Women's Primrose SA 2011 Climbing Harness Package
Featuring everything you need to get started climbing in the gym or out at the crags, the Primrose SA Package is a complete, convenient start-up kit for new female climbers. The Black Diamond Primrose SA features its Dual Core Construction to provide an expert balance of comfort, ventilation and durability....
Black Diamond Momentum Climbing Harness Package - Men's
With everything you need to get started in the gym or at the crag, the Black Diamond Momentum Package is a complete, convenient package for all-around climbers, featuring Black Diamond's most popular harness for all-around use, the Momentum.
Black Diamond Momentum SA Climbing Harness Package - Men's (2011)
Featuring everything you need to get started climbing in the gym or out at the crags, the Momentum SA Package is a complete, convenient start-up kit for new climbers.. The Momentum SA is an all-around harness for everyone from the first-time climber to the seasoned hardman, the Black Diamond Momentum...
Cyrus Climbing Harness
The Cyrus by Edelrid is probably the most comfortable harness money can buy, with 3D-Vent Technology for unparalleled wear comfort. Whether sport routes or longer alpine climbs, the Cyrus is suitable for all conditions.
Aquila Climbing Harness
The Aquila from Petzl is a high-end climbing and mountaineering harness with adjustable leg loops, which makes the Aquila harness a high-end model ideal for technical and alpine climbing. The FUSEFRAME Technology construction produces a slim, clean, lightweight design that offers excellent comfort. This...
Arc'teryx Aristo Pant - Men's
The Arc'teryx Men's Aristo Pants bring aggressive articulation and adventure-ready fabric to streetwear style. They have a laid-back look that will help you rock a school day or even a day at the office. But don't let the casual look fool you; these hardy trousers can handle an afternoon...