Your climbing harness is a key piece of equipment for top rope rock, lead and sport climbing. The right harness for your type of climbing can improve both performance and safety.
Simple maintenance will help prolong the life of your harness
Protect it from the elements. Keep it in a moderate temperature. When finished climbing, clean and inspect it. Cleaning with water should be sufficient. If you need to get out difficult stains or dirt and tiny rock grains, use a mild soap. Rinse the harness thoroughly to get the soap completely out of the nylon fibers. Let your harness dry in open air shaded from the sun before packing it back into its storage bag.
Extend usable service of the harness
Inspect your Climbing Harness. Look for signs of wear. Pay special attention to the stitching and tie-in points. When you see visible signs of wear, fading, scratches which tear the weave, or after it has held an extreme fall it's time to get a new one. After your harness has dried, inspect it for signs of wear and tear and fraying at all the seams. Signs of wear will show up better when the harness is clean and dry. Fraying will stand up as shown in the picture. Look carefully at the stitching and seams. Tug gently on the seams and anchor points to make sure they are secure and don't feel loose.
Storage for the harness. Put it someplace protected from sunlight, moisture or humidity, and in moderate temperatures. Exposure to these elements will cause the nylon and seams to degrade. Do not store it in the same closet or shed with paint, thinners, chlorine, bleach, acid or any oxidizing material. Vapors from these chemicals will also degrade the strength of your harness. Before climbing, check again for fraying or loose seams.
Factors to consider when choosing a climbing harness:
- Material: Harnesses are made from a variety of materials: Nylon and nylon webbing; ballistic nylon, closed cell foam with mesh lining; evazote 50 foam, ballistic nylon, microfleece; 7-mm closed-cell foam and 3-D mesh; chyri span with wall mesh, mini diamond ripstop; 600D Polyester; 1050D Ballistics nylon -- each material type compliments the type of climbing harness
- Adjustability: Adjustable or fixed loops for legs are a feature that help ensure good fit and comfort. The adjustability of leg loops adds weight and bulk which may not be desirable for high end competition climbing. Sport climbers may prefer the added comfort and fit at the expense of the small weight and bulk of buckles and straps.
- Gear Attachment: Most harnesses have some type of way to hang gear, Quickdraw, carabiner, Belay Device or runners. Usually they have 3 to 5 attachment points. They are made of molded rubber/plastic or woven nylon.
- Recommend Use: Harnesses are built with features which compliment the type of climbing your will be doing. Sport, trad, ice, competition, mixed climbing have different requirements, so the type of harness to use should have features best suited for the type of climbing. The manufacturer recommends a use. Of course that doesn't limit use in another aspect of climbing, it simply means the harness has features which are more likely to be advantageous for that type of climbing.
- Padding: Most rock climbing harnesses come with foam padding for the waist band and legs. The padding in these areas is well worth any extra cost. A wide waist band, especially in the back is also important. The purpose of the harness is to distribute the force of a fall to many points. The wider the waist band, the better the force is distributed. If the waist belt is too wide it will get in your way while making moves. The back of the waist belt should be firm and stiff. Legs should be secured by adjustable straps. Wider webbing provides more comfort. A comfortable width of leg webbing for an average weight person is 2 inches or about 5 cm or greater. A narrow webbing, less than 2" or 5 cm, will be less comfortable - and may cut off the circulation in your leg if you are left hanging too long. However, the thicker webbing may hinder freedom of movement.
- Weight: Harnesses vary in weight from very light three quarters of a pound to a pound and a half (300 grams to 600 grams). Weight is a tradeoff of features and comfort. Padding, gear attachments, and buckles add weight; however if you need a very light weight, lean harness for competitions or highly technical climbing and don't need the additional features, many are available.
Climbing Harness for Sale
Tree Spider Vertical Climbing Belt (One Size)
Sale Price: $21.76
1-7/8” webbing strap with easy adjust buckle for varying tree sizes.
Lukher Climbing Harness - Protect Leg Waist Wider Safe Seat Belts For Mountaineering Outward Band Fire Rescue Caving Rock Climbing Rappelling, Women Man Child Half Body Guide Harness
Lukher Climbing Harness - Protect Leg Waistbelt Wider Safe Seat Belts For Mountaineering Outward Band Fire Rescue Working on the Higher Level Caving Rock Climbing Rappelling Equip Women Man Child Half Body Guide Harness
Black Diamond Primrose Women's Harness
For all-around female climbers who know that time spent fiddling with leg loops and adjusting a pinching waistbelt is time wasted, the Black Diamond Primrose delivers a time-saving design for all styles of climbing. A pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle saves time and eliminates error when tying in, while Dual Core Construction puts an emphasis on comfort, even when you're posted up at...
Black Diamond Momentum Harness
For all-around climbers who know that time spent fiddling with leg loops and adjusting a pinching waistbelt is time wasted, the Black Diamond Momentum delivers a time-saving design for all styles of climbing. A pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt buckle saves time and eliminates error when tying in, while Dual Core Construction puts an emphasis on comfort, even when you're posted up at a hanging...
Petzl Simba Full-Body Climbing Harness
Little tykes have you climbing the walls Turn the tables on them with this Petzl Simba full-body climbing harness made to fit 5 to 10 year olds.
Black Diamond Vario Speed Harness, Grey
With a one-size-fits-all, simple design, the Vario speed is a great choice for guide schools, rock gyms and outdoor programs. Large quick-adjust buckle on waist belt is pre-threaded and doesn't require doubling back.
Black Diamond Momentum DS Climbing Harness
Blending the classic comfort, ventilation and durability of the Momentum with the supreme adjustability of dual SpeedAdjust waist buckles and fully adjustable leg loops, the Black Diamond Momentum DS is a lightweight, all-purpose harness for 3-season use. Our trakFIT leg loop adjustment system uses a simple, secure slide adjuster to quickly and easily adjust the diameter of the leg loop and provide...
Mission Women's Climbing Harness
Clean and close-fitting, the Wild Country Mission women's unique new V-Flex(TM) belt delivers unprecedented comfort and support. Ergonomic and articulated, the new construction delivers a figure-hugging fit like no other. Tuned by female athletes it also features a different ratio between legs and waist and a longer rise. Light, flexible and breathable you'll climb longerwith less fatigue....
Mission Climbing Harness
The Wild Country Mission men's is a new reference in comfort and control. A truly remarkable fit, it is designed around the unique newV-Flex(TM) belt and 'Dura-Weave' mesh construction. Supple and supportive, loads are spread more evenly reducing pressure and increasing hang-time. Body-hugging and extremely breathable, it'll let you climb longer with less fatigue. Ergonomic and...
Petzl Aspir Climbing Harness
The ASPIR is a comfortable harness that offers many of the advantages of our high-end harnesses: padded waistbelt and leg loops, a reinforced tie-in point and equipment loops. Its low bulk and large range of adjustability also make it great for mountaineering and glacier travel. A great harness too for via ferrata and adventure parks.
Petzl Macchu Children's Harness
With comfortable and adjustable waistbelt and leg loops, the MACCHU harness is ideal for sport climbing for children and adapts to the child's evolution in their practice. The ENDOFRAME Technology construction, identical to that of an adult harness, provides excellent weight distribution around the waistbelt and leg loops to ensure greater comfort. The two DoubleBack buckles on the waistbelt allow...