Ice Climbing Gear
Search for Climbing Gear
Ice Climbing has evolved into a sport of its own. There are more than 20,000 ice climbing routes established in the world, and there are two dozen climbing gyms that offer indoor ice climbing walls in their facility. Ice climbing has evolved from a means to ascend a mountain into a sport with its own grading system, routes, and distinct ice climbing gear. As equipment and techniques became more advanced, mixed ice and rock climbing became more practical, and safe.
Ice Fall Climbing
The three popular types and categories of ice climbing are:
- Ice falls, or waterfall ice, or water ice. This ice is created from a freezing water fall.
- Alpine ice. This type of ice is formed from melting snow, which then re-freezes.
- Mixed ice and rock. When a route has both ice and rock climbing elements it is called mixed climbing.
An ice climber will determine the gear to use based on the type of ice climbing. Vertical ice climbing requires crampons and ice tools and screws for placing protection. On short stretches of less vertical ice, an ice tool can be used to chop out foot placements. For steep grades crampons are used. When traveling on icy flat surfaces such as a glacier or ice field a lightweight mountaineering crampon can be used in place of the ice crampon. For leading, an ice climber sets protection using ice screws. Ice screws are started by pounding with a hammer several times, then turning so the threads catch and pull the screw into the ice as an anchor. Typically two tools are used, one in each hand. The tools are not identical. One would have a pick and adze, the other a hammer and pick.
Equipment and gear used in ice climbing
- Ice Tools: An ice axe is for mountaineering, and an ice tool is for ice climbing. Ice tools come in many shapes and types, but typically are around 55 cm in length, and most have a drooped pick for biting into ice. Modern tools used for mixed climbing forgo the spike at the bottom of the tool in lieu of a shaped and comfortable hand grip.
- Ice screws form the protection for ice climbers. It is tubular in shape with threads for pulling into the ice when turned.
- Crampons are available in a multitude of designs and options. They have 10 to 12 points, however some of the newer ones have 14 points. The points provide with two protruding straight out from the boot used to kick in and step up the ice face.
- Ice climbing boots are usually made of plastic or leather. The sole is always very stiff to accept crampons and provide a stable platform for front pointing. Mountaineering boots can be used if welts are built into the toe and heel for use with crampons.
- A climbing helmet Almost every ice climber considers a helmet a necessity. Ice constantly falls off in varying sizes as you climb, and will injure either you or your belayer if you are not wearing a helmet.
- Clothing for extreme sports such as ice climbing should be capable of withstanding the elements while giving you the flexibility needed to make the movements. Ice will melt with the heat of your body and soak in. Waterproof clothing and shell, and warm flexible clothing made for the sport is very important.
- Ice climbing gloves provide protection to your hands from the cold and hitting against the ice while using the ice tool. Ice gloves should be padded in the knuckle and have the ability to provide grip in wet conditions, as well as insulate and repel water.
- In addition to the ice climbing gear rack, snow and safety equipment such as avalanche beacons and first aid kits are valuable to have. They are small and lightweight, yet add.
- The type of climbing rope for ice also vary based on the route. A single rope is usually used for straight climbing. Rope drag is minimized due to the straight direction of the route and the single rope is easiest to deal with. If the ice is less stable the protection can be improved by using a double rope, sometimes called half rope system. In the double rope system the climber places two sets of separate protection, usually on either side of the route. Two ropes run from the belay to the climber. This provides a backup system in the event that one of the anchors come loose. The twin rope system uses two small diameter ropes clipped together and shares an points. This system is typically used in very long multi-pitch routes.
- An ice climbing harness has a few features not found in a rock climbing harnesses. It needs to fit over the heavier clothing worn in ice climbing, so adjustable leg loops are important. A holster or the ice tool and other ice climbing gear should be on the harness. It is helpful if it can be worn while wearing a backpack.
Care of ice climbing gear
The best thing you can do is preserve your ice climbing gear is to dry it all out every day after you return. If you don't sepend the time to fully dry the gear, screws and crampons will rust, threads will corrode, and boots will start to smell. The evening is a good time to dry and inspect for damage. Ice climbing is hard on equipment. Inspect the ropes, harness and all other gear for damage, frays or misshape. Keep your equipment in a reasonable temperature at night.
Preparing the gear for ice climbing
Choose a location to set the gear back from the start of the route. Ice and rocks dislodge from the face and will impact at the base of the route. Put your helmet on first to protect yourself from falling ice. Lay out the crampons, screws harness and other ice gear. When all your equipment is organized, put on your harness next. The last item to put on are your crampons. If you put the crampons on before your harness it is possible to catch a leg loop with the point and damage the harness. In any case the harness is easier to get on without crampons.
Petzl Laser Speed Ice Screw
Sale Price: $44.89
The Petzl Laser Speed Ice Screw starts easily and has an integrated flexible crank that gives an optimized lever, making the screw simple and fast to screw in.
Grivel Gear Safe - Ice Screw Storage
Sale Price: $18.36
When you routinely hang your vertical hopes on your trusty ice screws, you want to know where they've been, and that they've been safe. The Grivel Ice Screw Storage Gear Safe keeps your rack safe from otherwise corrosive or corrupting storage conditions. This way, your hardware is ready to...
Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip Traction System
Sale Price: $23.97
Ice Trekkers created the Diamond Grip Traction System to keep you on your feet when you're traversing icy sidewalks and snowy trails during the winter months. The rubber wrap system remains stretchy even in subzero temperatures and holds the aircraft-grade-steel, diamond-shaped tread securely in...
Two LW ice snow crampons stainless steel (2 pack) skiing hiking walking climbing
Sale Price: $29.95
Two LW ice snow crampons stainless steel (2 pack) skiing hiking walking climbing
Petzl LIM'ICE Ice Screw Sharpener
Sale Price: $67.39
The simplified handling of the Petzl LIM'ICE Ice Screw Sharpener makes drill sharpening fast and easy. The 2 sharpening guides optimize precision sharpening on both sides of the drill teeth.
CAMP USA - Cassin X-Dream Ice Climbing Pick
Sale Price: $31.92
Your Cassin X-Dream Ice Tool has proven trustworthy, and it's time to switch in a fresh X-Dream Ice Climbing Pick so your vertical adventures can continue. Built with classic Cassin quality and compatible with your X-Dream handle, this fresh pick helps you get back to tackling your project with...
Alpina Ice Axe
Sale Price: $111.97
With its super-strong T-rated construction on the head and shaft, the C.A.M.P Alpina Ice Axe is the right choice for intensive use on rugged alpine terrain. The unique forged chromoly steel head delivers superior strength and durability. A refined pick provides excellent performance both when swinging...
Ultralight - Universal Crampons
Sale Price: $116.95
STUBAI ULTRALIGHT UNIVERSAL CRAMPONS: Built to handle a myriad of different climbing pursuits, the Ultralight Universal is our best selling crampon. This crampon lives for trekking, glacier travel, or steep couloirs and snowfields. Totally adjustable Zytel straps make this crampon durable and easy to...
Ultralight Combi Crampons
Sale Price: $119.96
The Combi benefits from a Zytel plastic "Scottish-Toe," making this crampon compatible with any semi-ridged boot. Adjusts quickly and easily for different sized boots or multiple users.
Tour Lite Telescoping Axe
Sale Price: $159.96
STUBAI TOUR LITE TELESCOPING: Two axes in one, the Tour Lite Telescoping easily adjusts from 60cm to 95cm in seconds. The basket is removable for walking or probing. Now includes a re-designed lock washer, making this axe stronger than ever.
CAMP USA - Cassin X-Alp Ice Tool
Sale Price: $159.96
Get a handle on the Cassin X-Alp Ice Tool for long alpine outings where complex mixed terrain is all but guaranteed. This lightweight tool handles rock and ice with equal tenacity, and Cassin included a bi-directional leash keeps the axe secure on either hand. The interchangeable pick and hammer or adze...
Petzl Quark Ice Tool - Adze
Sale Price: $194.19
The classic Petzl Quark ice tool with adze is designed for vertical ice and mixed climbing. It has a balanced, smooth swing and an aggressive pick design for solid placements.
Petzl Nomic Ice Tool
Sale Price: $224.19
Designed for vertical pursuits on rock and ice, the Petzl Nomic ice tool is easily adapted for dry tooling and ice climbing.
ASR Outdoor Heavy Duty Titanium Ice Pick
Sale Price: $39.98
Titanium Ice Pick by ASR Outdoor is a useful tool made of solid 6AL4V titanium. It is tough, lightweight, and will never rust. This rod has a textured handle and tapers down to a very sharp point. This tool may just save your life, so make sure to bring one with you on your cold outdoor expeditions.
Astra Depot One Pair Universal Anti Slip Black Ice Cleats Shoe Boot Grips Traction Crampon Chain Spike Sharp Snow Walking Walker US Size 5-10
Brand new Snow Grippers Traction Crampons Cleats Specifications: • Package includes: a pair of shoe chain ice spike cleats with Pouch & 1 Carabiner • Size: Easily fit the shoes of US size 5-10 ( Europe Size: 35-44 ) • Weight: 350 grams( 0.77 Lb ) • Material: steel • Color: Black Features:...